Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Response to John

I feel like John brought up a lot of good points that made me reevaluate the way I think about politics and my own beliefs. I feel that I should start off with saying that as bad as it is, I pay very little attention to politics. Last year I was given my first real experience with politics.  In my government class I had to take tests to see where I stand in my political views, but beyond that I don’t pay much attention to politics. One of my biggest faults when dealing with politics is I never watch the news or read the headlines. Unfortunately I am very uninformed with politics but I feel a lot of the points John are correct and relevant. One thing I had never thought about before was how very few young people think about America’s debt and its impact on our generation. Everyone has heard the statistics but very few know what they mean for us. We do our day to day activates without a real sense of money and its effects with taxation. I also agree with John that since look beyond the economy that is the reason more people lean to the left because they are the more controversial topics and easier to cover. 

A couple things I didn’t like the about the article is his assumption that he is correct and the fact that he failed to comment on the other characteristics dealing with being a Republican. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion but when it comes to politics I don’t feel that any one person is right or wrong. Politics is how one views the world and how they feel issues should best be addressed. Sorry John but that is arrogant to say that you are correct as a republican because you think your views are the correct way to solve issues.  Also what other views do you share with the Republican Party? A relation to a political party is about much more than a view on the economy. In the end I agree that our generation has a lot to think before identifying with a party and we need to start being more responsible with our thoughts of how the economy affects our lives. 

4 comments:

  1. In my opinion the social issues and stances of the republican party are irrelevant. Okay maybe not irrelevant but nearly as important as the economy is. Social issues will be important when our debt is close to gone and our economy is on the right track. Social issues do not affect my life so for me when I go to the ballot box I don't think of them.
    Also I am a optimistic college student, I hope to be a successful banker one day and o vote on who I think will help me in that goal. That is why I believe that the republican party is the right choice for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I feel the same way as you, Jack. During my debates I would like to bring up relevant data for my argument but often I simply don't know quite enough specifics on politics for it to be effective. I think as we get older and voting becomes more important we will inevitably become more insightful.

    I understand why you take issue with John for him claiming that the Republican view is the only correct one, and I agree that he should look into other issues too, but I think John has the right to exercise this belief if he wants to. A big part of politics is that you fight for what you believe in. A lot of people don't want to compromise; just look at Congress today. I'm with John in that I feel strongly about the Republican belief core, but I hope to become more well-informed on all the current issues so that I am ready to backup my case when someone questions me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With age, one's knowledge of political ideas and issues tends to increase. It becomes a more prevalent part of one's life and the effects of the economy and social issues are more easily applied and seen in real life. As college students, most of us live sheltered lives. The news isn't really on our spectrum of what is important the way social media is. We get whatever news we need in short 140 character snippets on twitter or a link our friends have shared on Facebook. On top of that, many of us do not have to support ourselves financially yet and therefore the scope of the economy also does not really register any interest. People have so many varying interests that there is no way that you're going to 100% agree with every single viewpoint that a political party has. You simply must figure out that which is most important to you and find a political party that supports your stance on that issue whether it be social, economic, or foreign relations related.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is certainly true that staying up on the issues can help better inform a political viewpoint. On the other hand, I think it's also true that having a viewpoint will encourage a person to seek out news because it is easier to relate to current events when there is a convenient framework for making sense of things. Otherwise, events can be overwhelming. So, maybe it is actually your lack of interest in politics that is preventing you from staying up on events, rather than the other way around. I find that I tend to withdraw from following the news as I become more disaffected.

    ReplyDelete