Thursday, April 9, 2015

Our Education System

While I do agree with Isaac that our school systems have flaws and need to be fixed I feel that there does exist freedom for kids to explore things they are interested in. I will use this post to explain the experiences I’ve had going through a public education in Virginia but I’d be shocked if a majority of the country isn’t similar in most of these principles.
            First I do agree that there is a large emphasis on reading, writing, and math in the school systems but they are the foundations that allow for a deeper understanding of the subjects. Through readings young children are able to acquire a basic vocabulary and learn how to gain empathy but observing these fictional scenarios. In elementary school when book reports were assigned any books could be chosen and this allows for some creativity and exploration of different genres. Also I feel like as I got older the emphasis started on subjects began to be diverse. We had an art class, music class, and physical education class that we would go to once a week as well as have your basic history, science, math, and English times. A basic introduction was established and maintained (as well as I can remember) everyday and never was day solely devoted to math or reading or writing.
            Going into middle school I feel like the opportunities grew immensely as I was given the chance to pick my own classes for the first time. During my sixth grade year I was able to join chorus, band, take an art class, or change classes ever nine weeks and learn all sorts of topics. The core classes remained the same but having the freedom to choose what interested different people allowed everyone to develop an identity. Electives continued with allowing for a diverse schedule until 8th grade where my county provided the opportunity to go to different high schools to study different subjects in specialty centers. There is a specialty center for the arts, engineering, technology, foreign languages, leadership, and the one I attended was for math and science. In these specialty centers certain classes would only be offered to those students in the program but it allowed those to really learn what they were interested in. The core subjects were required but once again electives allow for unique interests to exist. My school offered, sports marketing, art classes, a chance to learn athletic training or trade skills like being a mechanic as well as many other classes. For me diversity existed and as long as I took the required classes, the rest of filling out my schedule was to my liking.

            The final point that you touched on that I agree with is about teachers and professors. Boring teachers will exist wherever one attends school and in reality there is no sure way to eliminate them. Also one teacher’s style might not fit everyone’s personality and that’s all right. The best way to combat this problem is through teacher evaluations, which in most university settings already take place. The education system isn’t perfect but it never will be, we have to continue to develop and encourage students to take electives that are interesting and the market for jobs will take care of itself over time.

1 comment:

  1. There's no doubt that a wide variety of offerings are the key. Isaac points out, though, that some pressures are indeed forcing some shifts and refocusing of priorities, which puts pressure on the electives to make room for testing and other things. Overall, though, I think there's plenty of variety for those who find it, and extracurriculars too are a great way for students to explore this.

    ReplyDelete